Over 12 miles of canal/river including popular stretches at Hoe Mill, Papermill Lock, Heybridge Tesco and Heybridge Basin. You are able to fish the entire length of the canal from the Gas Works at Browns Wharf Chelmsford, to the Heybridge Basin.
Known to hold Roach, big shoals of Bream including fish of 12lb, Tench, Chub, Perch, Pike and Carp to over 30lb but most of the more remote stretches still remain largely unfished. Night fishing allowed and day tickets available on the bank. The whole of this stretch is shared with Maldon Angling Society, Chelmsford AA and Kelvedon DAA.
Day tickets are available from selected tackle shops, also from bailiffs on easy accessible sections only.
Please be careful to observe notice boards erected along the canal as certain banks will remain out of bounds, or private.
The river genuinely offers something for everyone and it’s a genuine case of effort equals reward with some great catches this year.
Close season applies 15th March to 15th June inclusive.
12 miles of River and Canal
Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation Fishing Rules
These are in addition to those already stated within the Club rules:
1. Close season applies 15th March to 15th June inclusive.
2. Anglers must not dig swims into bank.
3. No fish to be kept in captivity for longer than 6 hours and any fish showing signs of distress should be returned immediately.
4. Where a match is advertised, the stretch of water will be closed for fishing from both banks for 2 hours before and 1 hour after the match.
5. The use of live fish baits is not permitted.
6. Anglers fishing for carp and pike must use an unhooking mat.
7. Carp sacks are not to be used and carp over 5lbs will not be retained by any method, except during officially booked matches.
8. No fishing within 30 metres of any lock, nor within 15 metres of any bridge, weir, wharf, landing stage, permanent mooring or other navigational structure.
9. No fishing on that part of the waterway just above Daisy Meadow Car Park and Heybridge basin.
10. No fishing between Paper Mill road bridge and the upstream end of the towpath moorings at Paper Mill.
11. No fishing on that part of the waterway adjacent to Treasure Island at Little Baddow.
12. No fishing on that part of the waterway adjacent to the South Bank between Hall Bridge Heybridge and Heybridge basin.
13. No angler is to be inconsiderate or abusive towards other users of the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation.
14. Anglers must not obstruct the towpath.